The purpose of HABSE is to help facilitate the education of all students. We strive to establish a coalition of educators who will not only support the educational process…but also help to enhance the instructional initiatives that are directly geared to closing the achievement gap for African American students in particular.
HABSE’s mission is achieved through four primary areas of focus:
- Exchange Ideas:
- Create a forum for the exchange of ideas and strategies to improve the success rate of African-American students in the K-12 public education system (particularly addressing the high suspension rates and closing the achievement gap).
- Support Educators:
- Develop and cultivate a support system for educators to share resources, engage in rich dialogue, and identify best practices to be implemented in classrooms.
- Recognize Success:
- Recognize and celebrate student, teacher, and administrator achievements at our end of year awards ceremony.
- Professional Development:
- Facilitate professional development programs that strengthen the skills of teachers, principals, specialists, superintendents, and school board members.
Dr. Moody says, “When one is in a struggle or battle, he looks around to see if he is alone.”